Friday, June 22, 2012

Medora, ND

Medora, ND is located in the middle of the Little Missouri National Grassland, and is the site of Theodore Roosevelt National Park. The place is steeped with history. If you're interested, you should look it up. It's worth it.

This little batch of photos is what we saw in the town. You should know that the town is completely touristy to have a "wild west" experience... but is pretty cute. I tend to have a low tolerance for touristy. Maybe I'm okay with it because there's still a lot of real, legit historical significance of the area.

The first thing to notice is the amazing gas pump. Who knew that these still existed? The pump motor still did the classic rumble and everything.



We saw lots of trains rambling through. It seems to still be a very active freight line. Particularly for coal.



These are the bunkhouses we stayed in. But our eyes are set on the house on the hill.



We stayed in a bunkhouse called "Wild Turkey". Kids, I couldn't make this up if I tried.



Dinner was pizza. I'm convinced that Theodore Roosevelt loved him his Badlands pizza.



The place was pretty America-centric, which I suppose makes sense, given the whole westward expansion thing. But this bench we felt went a little over the top.



There were lots of little shops in the town. Some were more ticky-tacky, others more artsy, others catered to local creations. My favorite discovery: a VERY specific cookbook for Germans from Russia. I suppose if you're German from anywhere else, this isn't for you. In addition, I suppose if you're from Russia, but aren't German, there's also nothing here for you. Oh, and also, this is found in North Dakota. REALLY????



In conclusion, the town was tres adorbs. I recommend. (And have I mentioned how cute the prairie dogs are??)

No comments:

Post a Comment